Thursday, November 28, 2013

Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo speaks to the Government, to you and I in poetic lines of Thanksgiving



Sahara Reporters' columnist, Rudolf Okonkwo has this pieces of advice for you, which he termed why am thankful, it is so inspiring that you can't afford to miss it!

For those in America and those who embrace its sensibilities, today is Thanksgiving.   I am thankful that the people’s servants are throwing away their umbrellas for the brooms. Let the rain fall on the kings and the queens, I guess. Now is the time to sweep, I suppose. Or are they just itching for somewhere to sit, cross their legs and pick their teeth?
I am thankful that I know why the fallen lizard nods its head.
I am thankful that the circle is almost complete. A president has gone to Mecca. A president has visited Jerusalem.  What’s left is a president that will visit Okija Shrine.
I am thankful that I don’t say “nothing spoil.” When something is spoiled, I say it is spoiled.
I am thankful that Nigeria’s economy is growing at over 6%. So are the strikes, the unemployment, the crime and the remuneration of political office holders.
I am thankful that I am a stakeholder. So is the beggar, the truck pusher and the market woman. We are all entitled to an equal part of the stake.
I am thankful that subjugated ghosts of our past are creeping out of the graveyard. They deserve salvation, too.
I am thankful that I know that if those with the knives all chop small small, nothing will be left for the children yet unborn to chop. 
I am thankful that we know that power comes from the guts of those who want it so badly. It doesn’t drop like Manna from heaven.
I am thankful that I am true to myself. That is the ultimate commandment.
I am thankful that we know that we cannot move the nation forward without touching the so-called untouchables- the so-called anointed. They are the ones whose roots are holding the nation back.
I am thankful that I am relatively happy in spite of all the madness around me.
I am thankful that we dey - the same way God dey, Sun dey, moon dey. Each one must do its own thing to keep the circle of life going.
I am thankful that I express myself without the fear of being wrong, even when I am the only voice.
I am thankful that we work hard and still find the time to pause and laugh. Laughter rejuvenates the worn out muscles.
I am thankful that my friends still consider me their friend even when I do not keep in touch as I used to.
I am thankful that we have all agreed that we cannot worship people and still hold them accountable.
I am thankful that my flaws do not eat up my self-esteem. They should not eat up yours. Everyone counts, including you.
I am thankful that those who can bend their knees down enough allow the blanket of life to cover their whole body.
I am thankful that I know how much I need to know before I know how little I know.
I am thankful that the mountains and valleys of our lives are just flyovers and subways to the city in the sun.
I am thankful that my marriage was not made in heaven but in the heart of a special woman, Edna, who I can reach with smiles, tears and fears.   I am thankful for the impression of me as an all-knowing, all-powerful, wealthy man that my kids, Ijeamaka and Ogonna, have.   I am thankful for my parents, J. C. and Madam J. C for teaching me how to think for myself.   I am thankful for my siblings who pick up the slack as I strive to pick up the flak.   I am thankful I am able to make sacrifices in spite of the embarrassing moral authority they try to confer on me.   I am thankful for my annoying habits. Otherwise, I would think I am perfect.   I am thankful for those who curse me out. They love me. Even though neither them nor I often believe it.   I am thankful I am good at something. I just have to find out what the hell that thing is.
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave your comments inside the box